Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Department of Health & Human Services

The Department of Health & Human Services is a federal agency that works closely with the state and local governments. As their website states, "The Department of Health & Human Services is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves"(HHS). I researched three very different potential employers. In my opinion, the Department of Health & Human Services was the most interesting. I could really see myself working for this department. The main reason is the possible locations that I could get jobs. The Department of Health & Human Services main headquarters is Washington. However, HHS conducts work within ten regional offices in the United States. The ten regional offices are located in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco. I know many of us probably do not know exactly where we would like to work. This can offer public health students many more location options than another public health job. Many of the possible jobs in the department required specialized prior experience. This is important to know. Honestly, this is what worried me. Finding experience in the field can sometimes be difficult. This can cause a drawback in working for this department. However, possible benefits and salary range was great. This potential employer is one that I am definitely going to keep in mind.
http://www.hhs.gov/ Here is the website if you want some more information.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was deciding which potential employers I would like to work for, I considered the HHS. The agency I picked (the FDA) and the HHS are very similar with their mission and ultimate goal. Looking out for the services and health for the community as a whole is a large job that involves many people’s contributions, ideas and input. I feel that if you want extremely involved in the prevention and promotion of public health this is an excellent choice. By working for a federal employer you do have an abundance of opportunity for growth and development. I also completely understand your drawback statement. It is a very competitive field to work in.

    ReplyDelete