Saturday, March 12, 2011

International AIDS Vaccine Initiative

The organization I would like to work for is the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative. Headquarters for this international organization is based in New York but there are many local offices around the globe in countries like Kenya, The Netherlands, India, and the United Kingdom. It's a nonprofit organization whose goal is to make certain that effective and affordable preventative AIDS vaccines are developed as quickly as possible. IAVI partners with many governmental and academic associations to create and evaluate possible vaccines that they then approve to be used in trials. What interests me about this organization is the interactive way they conduct the trials for the vaccines. Most of the IAVI activities go on in developing countries where the majority of new HIV cases arise and they work closely with the local governments and communities to ensure that the clinical trials are carried out ethically. They also make sure to educate the community of these trials and the necessity of AIDS vaccines. A drawback for the IAVI would be that since most of the activity happens overseas, that would probably be where most of the jobs are. I do enjoy experiencing new cultures and seeing new places but I think the distance would be a lot to get used to.

1 comment:

  1. As an Exit Requirement class I took an HIV/AIDS interdisciplinary class that got me very interested in AIDS and helping AIDS patients. I never heard of this organization before and now I am very interested in researching more about it. Although it is difficult to live far away from home, the experience you would be getting by working with such an interesting and international organization would be worth the distance. The employers I looked at are more community based but they also work very closely with HIV/AIDS patients and since I find that a very important part of public health right now, this post interested me the most. Thank you for offering other similar opportunities.

    ReplyDelete