Sunday, March 13, 2011

Family Health Centers of San Diego


Family Health Centers of San Diego is a community-based organization with numerous clinics around San Diego County. They offer medical attention to under and uninsured families as well as migrant workers and homeless people. Although they are mostly focused on underserved communities, the clinics are open to everyone and the services are made affordable for all types of incomes. What I like the most about these clinics is the community outreach work as well as the focus they have on HIV/AIDS patients. My only problem with working in this type of clinic is the low salaries. Since the clinics are affordable and in many cases free, they cannot afford to pay their employees as much as they would make in other places. I am interested in a case worker or a community outreach position which are both available in the organization but I know that in a hospital for example, I would have the same position but with a higher salary. As an undergraduate with minimal experience, I would probably enjoy working with this organization and gain more experience than I can ask for. More than anything, I am extremely interested in helping the migrant communities that do not seek for help by themselves and need health education for themselves and their children.

2 comments:

  1. Family Health Centers of San Diego seems like a really good organization. First of all, the location appeals to me because I would love to live and work in California. I like that it is centered on helping those who are less fortunate. Everyone needs health care, but not everyone can afford it. It’s kind of similar to the organization I chose which is the Partnership for Maternal & Child Health, a subset of the World Health organization. The PMCH also helps those who usually can’t afford health care or health education, except it’s a worldwide organization and focuses on mothers and children. I understand how the pay would be an issue, but the experience is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this organization is awesome. I love seeing outreach to those who normally would not receive it. It takes people who genuinely care to provide health care to migrant workers and the homeless. Unfortunately, as you stated, the income would not be that great from this employer. However, I agree that the experience would be great. Though a hospital would probably pay better, it is important to want the job for the right reasons. It seems as if the interactions with people in the hospital would not be as personable. Depending on what's essential to you, that's something to think about as well. Also, I love that they focus on HIV/AIDS patients! I think that is a condition that is often overlooked and even unknown to individuals, so to offer assistance with it is great.

    ReplyDelete