Wednesday, March 9, 2011

MENDEZ FOUNDATION

Too Good Programs The Mendez foundation is non-profit community based organization. It is located in all 50 states and has a partnership in Tampa Fl public school system. This organization is very educational toward students in the public school system from kindergarden to 12 grade in high school. It educates children on drugs, violence, and alcohol. The education they provide teaches children about the harm of the products and why they should avoid it at all times and what to do when placed in certain situations regarding drugs, alcohol, and violence. They also have a training program for those who provides the education to the students. At the end of a successul training a certificate is provided to those who did the the training and this serves as proof that they are qualified to educate others. Also the Mendez Foundation provides a health education for students. This program educate on food what they are, what they do to the body, and helps them make healthy food decision. I would love to work for this organization one day because it is a great way to help prevent fure addicts. The children are the future and if we start instilling the right choices in life in them at an early age, then it decreases the risk of them being drug addicts, alcoholic, violent, and obese. If I can be a part of helping kids gain the knowledge of certain issues that society deals daily then I will be content that I am making a difference. One thing that I did not see on their page was helping a student who is dealing with the issues they educate them about, so this might be one thing that draw me back from them, besides that I feel that they are doing a really great thing for society and for our future leaders.

3 comments:

  1. I think what the Mendez Foundation does for the inner city youth is absolutely great, and the fact that it is in all 50 states says a lot about what the foundation is trying to accomplish. In our society right now the youth needs these types of programs that will uplift and educate them. It started with someone wanting to make a change and now they are affecting teens all over the nation and I think that is something that should be commended. The fact that it is not just lecturing to students but also giving them opportunities to get involved is what they need, the youth needs to feel like they are doing something. I think that this is a great program, and I can tell that it will continue to grow and become better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this organization but after reading this blog I find it very interesting. I have a strong interest in working with children as well. I believe that education is key to prevention, especially when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I love how they are not only reaching out to children, they also educating the teachers. This is similar to employer I chose, Youth Villages, because they both work with children. They are also both non-profit organizations. One difference is that the Mendez foundation is helping kids in schools become educated on certain issues, where as Youth Villages helps children and their families in their homes. I believe that both of these organization are making a difference and they are both equally important to the communities they help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reviewing your entry about the Mendez Foundation, I have decided to explore the organization and potentially contact them in order to see if they are offering any volunteering opportunities for the 2011 summer. I enjoy promoting healthy decision making which is why I was so drawn to your post. The Mendez Foundation seems like a great opportunity to educate the youth on matters such as alcohol and drug abuse. My blog is about Planned Parenthood which is a globally recognized association based upon promoting and educating society members on sexual health and reproductive strategies. although BOTH ORGANIZATIONS FOCUS ON DIFFERERNT topics, awareness plays a significant factor within the missions of the two organizations.

    ReplyDelete