Wednesday, March 9, 2011

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Food and Drug Administration




The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, FDA is a federal agency. Its headquarters are located in Silver Springs, MD. The FDA is responsible for many different things that protect and promote public health from assuring that food are safe and properly handling to regulating tobacco products. This agency is also responsible for helping the public get accurate science-based information needed to safely use and distribute medication and foods to improve their health in a promptly manner. I would like to work for the FDA as either a legal representative or a representative within a local community because their goal is ultimately to protect and promote the health and safety of society. By regulating things most people usually overlook, the FDA contributes a lot to the people. It is important that food, medication as well as the devices used to administer it, dietary supplements and cosmetics are all approved and safe for people to use. I would like to take part in making sure that my community stays healthy and safe. The only drawbacks I can think of by working for the FDA, is that because it is a federal agency and the headquarters are in Silver Springs, is that I may not work in my desired location. Also, with the economy being is a recession there is a possibility of not having a stable job. With that said, I feel there are more positive and appealing aspects that would make the FDA a satisfying place for employment.

1 comment:

  1. I also researched the F.D.A. because I was interested in one of their positions as a health project coordinator. I agree with what you said about wanting to help the nation stay safe through all of the F.D.A.'s different regulatory projects. My dad is the head database administrator for the F.D.A. at their headquarters in Silver Spring and he loves it. Even though he does not work directly in the public health side of things, I have seen the way the organization runs when I visit his office and it seems like a pleasant work environment. Since it is a federal entity, the benefits are great and it is such a large organization that there is a lot of opportunity to move around. I saw that one of your concerns was not being able to work in your desired location, but I grew up very close to Silver Spring and it is a great location for public health jobs, since it is right outside of D.C.

    ReplyDelete