Monday, March 14, 2011

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene


New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is a Government organization at the city level, providing health services to the residents of New York City. I think it’s pretty obvious that NYC DHMH is located in New York City, however they have multiple offices through the city as NYC is a very big city. One of the most appealing things about this potential employer is the number of job listings and the variety of areas the jobs are available in. When performing a job search, some of the categories you can select from include emergency preparedness, community outreach, early intervention, epidemiology, policy, and research, to name a few. Another appealing thing about this employer is the number of public health jobs that require data analysis and a strong background in such. I currently perform data analysis at my job, so it’s exciting to think that once I graduate, I have the credentials needed to apply for some of the positions. What made me look into a job in New York City was my great love for the place. I’ve been there six times and always dream of when I can go back. I would love to experience living in a big city such as New York and an employment opportunity would be a great reason to move there. One drawback I could see by working at DHMH is the sheer size of the organization. I’m not sure exactly how the structure is, so it’s a little daunting trying to picture where I would fit in amongst all the other employees. Another drawback would be the cost of living in NYC versus what the salary is. While some of the potential jobs seem like they pay really well, I know it’s very expensive to live there.

2 comments:

  1. New York City is a highly populated, never sleeping city that is full of public health opportunities. Data analysis seems to be a part of many PH jobs so already having previous experience with this will be very beneficial to you! Working in such a big city will definitely eliminate boring work days which is great. Since the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is so large it could work in your favor because there is plenty of room for growth which would allow you to afford NYCs high prices, but until then there is always the option of commuting. I would like to work for the Miami Dade Health Department because it is also a large city and a great place, as is NYC to get experience and start a career in PH, although I am of course opening to going anywhere. Good Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hospital jobs is important for medical student. That's really a good quality post keep it up.
    GP jobs

    ReplyDelete