Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute


Moffitt is a National Cancer Institute. What I found appealing about Moffitt was that it has many options to choose from. I want to be a registered nurse in the future and Moffitt offers many nursing positions in different departments. You can choose to work in the radiology department, oncology, etc. I like that with being a nurse, there are fields you can choose from and you’re not set to one thing. I guess you could say I like having options, I haven’t decided what kind of nurse I want to be but it’s always good to know what is out there. I also chose Moffitt because it’s a very well known cancer center and cancer has affected me personally so it’s something I feel passionate about. The Moffitt staff does their best to help people and that’s really all I want to do.

I volunteer at Moffitt weekly and I enjoy volunteering for this organization. The staff is nice and very helpful. Beinginterested in the nursing profession the nurses help provide answers if I have questions. People say you never know what you’re getting yourself into unless you have experienced it first hand that is why I have volunteered at hospitals to give me an insight of what nurses do. You experience the interactions between doctors and patients, nurses and patients and it gives you an overview of what the profession entails. Volunteering at the hospital has assured me that the nursing profession is what I want to do with my life.

2 comments:

  1. I admire how you have volunteer at Moffitt and have been able to experience first hand what you career would entail and what the dynamic of the various health care professionals would be like. It is great to reaffirm the passion you have for a career by witnessing what would be in store. I shadowed a radiation oncologist and decided, after I was so sure that this was the career for me, that I couldn't do that for the rest of my life so I am a firm believer in gaining experience in the field you are interested in to make sure that is what you want to do. I believe that Moffitt Cancer Center is a great organization that has a lot of potential and reward. Going into nursing would offer you patient interaction and would allow you to make a difference in someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you volunteer at Moffitt weekly. I know volunteering is something I need to get back into as well, but it is hard to get motivated (especially on Spring Break!) or find the time when you work and go to school full time already. It definitely can save you a lot of time and money if you shadow someone before choosing your career. I know I kind of floated my way through college, and I left my community College with over 100 hours!! Yeah that is definitely not good, but I changed my mind several times. In fact, I have already changed my mind from Global Health, to Environmental Occupational Health since I started at the College of Public Health last fall (2010).

    ReplyDelete